Liars etc.

the ancient greeks prided themself, a little, on not telling the "truth" - that is, man speaks with tongue in cheek of own mouth.
how would it be otherwise? This became something of a problem when Western people met American Indian groups who lived inside a notion of "word-as-truth-=man-as-true". How could they possibly figure a man who lied and thought that a godd thing?

am i now speaking the "truth" or is this yet another of my many lies - all of which I am proud of as my own children?

keith russell
uni of newcastle
 Oz

>>> Brynjulf Tellefsen <[log in to unmask]> 08/14/01 11:40AM >>>
Dear Rosan, Richard, and All,

A number of social scientist believe that reality is a social construction,
and not an objective truth, and that individuals have in them parts of that
social that is shared with others, referred to as (objective) facts, and
some that is unique to the individual, referred to as subjective realities.
In other words, we claim to know the objective truth, and have moral and
physical wars to mission for our own version of it. Some call it
philosophy, others ethics, and yet others call it religious wars. Consider
the following statements: "God is a male white. When he is depicted as
black in Africa they simply don't know the truth and have to be educated!"

50 years ago I would probably get Christian ministerial approval for that
remark, while today I might be dragged to court for rasism. Truth and
knowledge are rather relative in time and space.

Rosan asks:
"Will graphic design Ph.D programs really benefit, graphic design and
how?".

I have only one ansver to that: Those who run the programs would believe in
a Yes. Otherwise I guess they would have trouble with matching their belief
structure with what they do, i.e. experience moral dissonance. Others,
especially the rebels who need to carve out a different faith to make room
for competing solutions would likely say No. Any conclusion offered would
be an article of faith, propaganda to win a war, or pure speculation.

Richards is stricken:
'In fact, I am struck by how often the perspective of the
"knower" colors what he or she regards as "knowable" or as "known."
Indeed, it significantly colors what he or she thinks is "knowledge."'

Richard, can you think of any instance where what the knower says is not
considered by the knower to be the truth? Otherwise the knower would be
knowingly lying to him/herself, or others. But the world it filled with
liars, at least so do those who disagree proclaim the truth to be.....

Bryn

Brynjulf Tellefsen
Visiting Professor
School of Management Information Systems
Edith Cowan University
Churchlands, WA 6018, Australia
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Mobile phone: +61-8-403 907 440 (0 instead of 8 if domestic call)

Associate Professor
Department of Knowledge Management
Norwegian School of Management - BI
Elias Smiths vei 15