Folks,

I have found the discussion on this theme to be very useful and
interesting.  I believe we are seeing the fundamental alternatives
presented in this brief discussion, as if distilled from the collective
discussions of the past recent years.

For my own part, I find each of the alternatives reasonable and useful
in their own context.  Each is directed toward important kinds of
problems and may have valuable results.  I may be a bit more sympathetic
to Sharon's ideas about a broader impact on knowledge building, but I
think I appreciate, as does she, the potential value of other kinds of
work.  (By the way, the range of alternative that have been discussed
are in accord with the range of alternatives that exist in other fields
of inquiry.  Some are tightly focused, others reach out in excellent
ways.)

Gunnar's excellent provocation about the relationship between practice
and doctoral research is always a background issue for us to consider.
I continue to believe that the Master's degree is the terminal degree of
design practice, but it seems clear to me that doctoral work could very
well make long-term contributions to practice.  Doctorates in "graphic
design" may well have great value for practice, particularly in
exploring some of the areas of complex new work that are emerging in
areas of kinetic typography, information design, and so forth.  In
addition, there can be great value for history, criticism, and theory in
"graphic design" or communication design.  I believe this is what
Jacques is suggesting.

I continue to see doctoral education as a terminal degree for design
research and design education, with many new opportunities for
employment in design practice.  But the core of doctoral work is not,
itself, a "practice" of design--though design practice and design
projects may very well be part of the work.  But in saying this I am
simply rehearsing the arguments that we have presented in other
contexts.  We discuss this in some detail in the doctoral program
description for our work at Carnegie Mellon.

As an aside, I have learned that architecture programs in the US will
move to a new standard by 2010.  At that time, the BArch degree will no
longer be regarded as the entry level degree for architectural practice.
 To be sure, i have not seen the documents describing this, but it is an
interesting development that we should watch.  Personally, I do not see
this happening in any of the design professions that directly concern
most of us, and I would be troubled if it occurred.  But Architecture
has its own special problems.

So, there are many issues of concern in developing doctoral
education--and I have several of my own specific concerns--but we do not
really have a choice of whether to go down the path of doctoral
education. It will happen whether we like it or not.  The real issue for
us is to think carefully now about how each of our programs will take
shape.

just some thoughts

Dick

Richard Buchanan