I have followed the numerous threads regarding the doctorate and it's
relationship to practice. As Jacques has indicated, re: our faculty and
programs here at ASU, we have many faculty (myself included) that pursued
the Ph.D. after extensive time in practice and after completion of
professional degrees in our discipline(s). The same is true for many of our
participants in the ongoing dialogue that this thread represents.

In short, many of us freely move back and forth between work that is
"traditional practice", usually in a specialized area, and work that is
funded research. Often, we may do research on issues related to, or directly
linked to, practice in part because we have unique specialty areas of
expertise gained from our doctoral work. This work enables us to combine our
professional degree/professional experience background with the ability to
do rigorous research. I make (as I'm sure others make)  a conscious attempt
to link the two when possible. Often, scholarly rigor for research and the
time required to complete the work are far different from the fast timelines
required for the practice related work that we do. Those are distinctly
different outcomes just as there are clearly differing needs and reasons for
the research-based Ph.D. and the practice-based doctorate. These two degree
structures have distinctly different purposes for existence and, therefore,
outcomes of what kind of work they produce.

At ASU, when initiating the doctorate, we chose the Ph.D. (we are a research
1 university), we elected to require a professional degree in one of our
college disciplines and a masters as prerequisite to admission. The clear
focus is scholarly, interdisciplinary research. While we do not currently
have a studio-based practice doctorate, we recognize the value of that model
and often discuss whether we should have BOTH degree structures as options.

The goals of the two paths (research doctorate; practice doctorate) are
significantly different as noted in many of the posts, including Ken's
(below). Institutions struggling with focus of doctoral work and roles of
faculty in delivery of doctoral programs need only look at the goals of the
institution, academic unit, and of individual faculty to establish a clear
long-term strategy for an appropriate academic model. I'm sure we all accept
the fact that there are differing models. To recognize the differing models
and select a long-term strategy for our institution, we must recognize the
difference between a research degree and a degree model that prepares
students for, as Ken's thread points out, advanced practice.

mike

Michael D. Kroelinger, Ph.D., AIA, FIIDA, LC
Professor
College of Architecture & Environmental Design
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ 85287-2105
480.965.5561 (O)
480.965.9717 (F)