Steve,

When I first started reading your posts a few years ago I figured I
understood about 10% of the meaning....then gradually over the years I feel
like I made it over the 50% milestone, which was rather fun.....but my
powers have slipped and with this one I would flatter myself (or yourself)
if I said I understood 10%....

Steve, what is 'banking education' and what is the rest in a language I can
50% understand??

Love James

  11/16/01 +0200, you wrote:
>Hello again Robert and all  - Phew, that was a wide and warm display of
>positions Robert and I do not mean this badly. But I would like to try and
>take
>just one of your points and relate it to the earlier point from John Quay
>concerning BANKING education.
>
>Your point concerns the "purpose(ful)" rationality of that to which we intend
>and move towards and with.
>
>Here is one face of a Banking system ( although a sens eof purpose is not
>being
>denied here) so long as it takes on mere instrumental rationality.
>
>There are other rationality-contexts whereby a "mix" of motivations and
>word-deeds make solid sense. For example the poetic and the aesthetic and the
>sensuous social body are significant here. To over-emphasise "purposeful
>rationality" is surely a very big proble-story of all life and of life seen
>through social science. When, for example, the rule books and the Law are
>divorced ( fault-lined) from morality then this fragmentation shows itself in
>the need for a new code - a code of ethics.
>
>I am saying here that we must take seriously the instrumental value but we
>must
>not seperate it from the working contects of real life as lived. Formulas and
>codes need de-coding for this to happen. Programmes need de-programming
>and this
>is one beginning for a counter to banking education. But to do that we are
>working inside a constellation where instrumental rationality (
>lonley-selections) is but one voice. We are working, in one way or
>another, with
>a face of the good life and well-being. So yes we do need that old guy
>Aristotle
>- still !!!!
>
>Comment : Banking education takes on the purposeful-instrumental
>rationality and
>by doing so acts in the name of the alienated world of fragments and risk. I
>deny that kind of banking and i deny that over-emphasis upon a purposeful
>rationality.
>
>best wishes
>steve bowles
>
>Robert Bavis wrote:
>
> > Sorry I keep sending this just to one person (Steve Bowles in this case)

"Humour is by far the most significant activity of the human brain."
- Edward De Bono, Daily Mail, 29 January, 1990
James T. Neill
Department of Kinesiology
University of New Hampshire
New Hampshire Hall
124 Main Street
Durham, NH 03824
USA
voice: 603 862 3047
fax: 603 862 0154
email: [log in to unmask]

Professional Home Page: http://www.unh.edu/outdoor-education/JamesNeill.htm
UNH Outdoor Education Program: http://www.unh.edu/outdoor-education/index.html
UNH Outdoor Education Research & Evaluation Center:
http://www.unh.edu/outdoor-education/research.html