Dear list - there has been some interest from occupational physicians in my announcement about these fellowships so I thought I would follow up with a little more detail.  Closing date Monday 19 March 2001.  Potentially, this is a wonderful opportunity for an occupational physician to develop some ideas, do some writing, or finish a thesis.  Wolfson College is one of the University's graduate colleges and, I am sure, offers a very stimulating environment.  Its web address is www.wolfson.ox.ac.uk and the University's web address is www.ox.ac.uk.  I work in the university department of public health, part of the Institute of Health Sciences (www.ihs.ox.ac.uk) - also a very stimulating environment.

Wolfson College, Oxford University, has announced 2 two-year fellowships for the academic years 2001-03..  These are intended to enable those working at Harwell or in industry to come to Oxford to engage in a joint research project with a University department .  (For an occupational physician, I would be prepared to be the Proposer - acting as the collaborator in a University department.)  Preference for one Fellowship will be given to a suitably qualified candidate nominated by Harwell.

The intention is that the Fellowships should give an opportunity for collaborative research which would not otherwise have taken place, but the College is prepared to receive proposals in respect of already established research projects.

Proposers will be expected to negotiate an agreement with the company by whom the candidate is employed, under which the company would continue to pay his or her full salary but would permit him or her to spend one-fifth of his/her time on a joint research project in Oxford.  The College is willing to consider a variation from this pattern to suit current conditions or individual circumstances.

Wolfson College will offer up to £1,000 per annum towards any expense reasonably incurred in pursuance of the aims of the Fellowship.

Applications should include a completed application form, a curriculum vitae of the candidate, and the names of two referees.  Candidates should themselves write directly to their referees asking them without further request to send a confidential reference to the President's Secretary by the closing date (marked WHIF on the envelope).  Closing date Monday 19 March 2001.  For full details and application form send s.a.e and name of fellowship in which you are interested to the President's Secretary, Wolfson College, Oxford OX2 6UD.  Tel 01865 274102.  Fax 01865 274136.  Email [log in to unmask]

Best wishes - Kate

Dr Katherine M Venables MD FRCP FFOM MFPHM
University Lecturer in Occupational Medicine
Institute of Health Sciences, University of Oxford
Old Road, Headington, Oxford, OX3 7LF, UK
Telephone (direct) (+)1865 227034, (secretary) (+)1865 282677