DAVE's COMPUTER NOW "CLEANED" OF VIRUS

Hi folks

HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE - set this to send automatically, should by now be sipping coffee & enjoying the boys' presents - sorry, I mean enjoying watching the boys play with their presents.

I'm now confident that my home PC is cleaned of the W32.Badtrans.B@mm virus.

This was inadvertently sent to me in an email attachment from a friend in the Middle East (yes - on "active duty").

Unbeknown to me it "sent itself" to at least 70 people in my Outlook Express address book. If you were one of these then I'm very sorry but I had no control over to whom it was sent. If affected, you may have received an attached file with a name like:

New_Napster_Site.mp3.scr.
CARD.Doc.pif
Sorry_about_yesterday…
YOU_ARE_FAT!…               Etc.

DO NOT OPEN THIS! If you do not have up-to-date anti-viral software & suspect you may have received an infected file then do please let me know. You can download a fix from:

Read this through then download the      W32.Badtrans.B@mm Removal Tool

For those of you using Windows Me, ensure you also download the patch as described in:  "CAUTION: For Windows Me users only."

Oh yes - if you have received this virus/worm then you'll need to change ALL your on-line passwords because whoever spread this damn thing now has copies of all your passwords!

I'm assuming most have heard of the Goner virus that sounds much more malicious: don't open any files called "hi" even from friends - there's what appears to be a screensaver attached (*.scr) but it'll wreck your PC.

One other thing (please don't be offended if this is all well-known to you): it's always safer to send INDIVIDUAL emails, as I've done here by just pasting in the same message to separate emails addresses, rather than bulk Cc mailings from your address book. The latter is quicker but also makes it much easier for a worm to infiltrate your address book. If I receive Cc mailings even from people I know I WILL NOT OPEN ANY ATTACHMENT UNLESS YOU PHONE FIRST.

And I hope you have a VERY HAPPY CHRISTMAS!

Cheers - Dave
home: 01568 720351
mobile: 07836 324084
Now back at: [log in to unmask]