Dear List - a couple of years ago I asked for people's experience with
migraine and the DDA.  This is in relation to a woman doing a clerical
job who was referred because of short-term sickness absence of 45 - 80
or so days per year.  Much of the absence she associates with migrainous
headaches related to her periods, which have an approximately 23-25 day
cycle.  Her GP has tried many treatment lines and hospital referrals
without success.  There are reasonable indications that this is not a
straigtforward problem and that there is a conduct/dysfunctional element
to at least some of the absence.  I've previously advised that migraine
of sufficient severity to cause absence from work over several years
would be likely to count as a disability under the DDA and that allowing
time off to recover from migraine was a reasonable adjustment.  The
problem is continuing - any thoughts, medically or managerially??  The
employer is thinking of making the job officially part-time, with a
cyclical pattern to follow the migraine occurrence - at least they would
save on salary is the rationale - but I have doubts that this would work
in practice because of the unlikelihood that the migraines would
consistently occur during the "off" times.

Come on - let's get this list going again - it is in one of its phases
of torpor - best wishes - Kate