Dear Stewart,

I don't know whether freon or other CFC's have the properties of carcinogens
or of suspected carcinogens or whether body temperature impacts fertility
(for those questions, I defer to Dr Olga Sivolchalova of the RAMS Institute,
who I have copied on this email), because i am merely an uneducated lawyer.
But I posit possible harms worthy of further attention for two reasons:

First of all your too-glib remark is not funny because we all know that
Inuit and Eskimo ARE dying out, as I heard about at the Alaska Governor's
Conference on Safety and Health when I was a speaker there in 2000. A great
deal of federal money spent to try to figure out precisely why. Does the
cold make a difference? Your guess is likely more informed than mine.

Second of all, there is no place in a professional forum for such an
off-handed glib remark.  And that is really the more important point.

As a lawyer and a law teacher, i learned long ago that many great wisdoms
are found in seemingly odd or even stupid comments. My father said, "a
broken clock is right twice a day, and if you look at it in just the right
moment, the information it gives you is correct" Far toomany people have
suffered, especially women, because medical professionals, legal
professionals and other caretakers refused to take seriously their
complaints.

In our professions, dismissive attitudes regarding the complaints of
patients or potential patients, have more than the usual social implications
that attend ignoring a woman's complaints: when we ignore the seemingly
peculiar complaint, we run the risk of opening the door to a cold and fierce
epidemic because complaints were ignored. Ask the people who fight for
rights for peple with AIDS. Their motto is: Silence=death.  The other part
of the communication, the occupational health professional's obligation in
my opinion, is to have an open ear and an open mind so those who are not
silent but are suffering can be heard.

I for one would love to spend some time asking about the exposures and
working conditions and types of plastics (is there vinyl chloride present in
wrapping meats in the cutting machines? for example) or the possible broken
condition of the freezers (after CFC's were banned in the Montreal
international convention for protecting the Ozone layer-- if they can make a
hole in the ozone layer--- and deciding whether that is true or not is up to
scientists, not lowly lawyers like me-- but if they could make a hole in the
ozone layer, the prospect of some occupational exposure harming fertility
seems possible to me.)  I don't know, i'm just an attorney. But I do know
that my ignorance has a chilling effect on my skepticism about patients' odd
complaints. I want to know more before drawing conclusions about anything.

Thank you for your consideration and time. All the very best to you,
Ilise
Prof. I.L. Feitshans JD and ScM
Legal Advisor WHO/RAMS Committee of Experts on Reproductive Health at Work