Kevin

OH is usually the first port of call for managers who are having a problem
with sickness absence as they usually see us as having all the answers to
anything to do with health.  Speaking personally I do not manage sickness
absence for my organisation - I'm not a manager and therefore do not have
any direct line management responsibility.  However, I do help managers to
manage it!  I see my role as giving the managers all the necessary
information they need in order to manage - it may not necessarily be the
information that they feel they want (that's the confidentiality debate!)
but it is the information that they need.  In my experience there is an
element of driving the malingerer back to work that managers want from OH as
many remain ill informed as to it's purpose.  What I have tried to do is to
educate the managers to take on board that they are responsible for this
management aspect and that I am here to give them an objective opinion on
the health and work capabilities of their members of staff.

I've not known a great psychological input into the organisations where I
have worked.  I have involved Occupational Psychologists in a number of
cases that I have worked on with a fairly good effect.

The line you mention is a very thin one that we walk down.  On one hand we
are usually employed by an Organisation to protect their interests and are
therefore seen by many other employees as part of the management structure,
on the other hand as OHA's we have professional and ethical responsibilities
to the workforce as our 'clients/ patients' and are usually seen by managers
as firmly being on the side of the staff.  There's objectivity for you!  I
don't think anyone has yet come up with the definitive answer but we usually
get by OK.

At the end of the day Sickness Absence Management is a jolly good carrot
with which to encourage people to a meeting and is one of the things that
the majority of managers want to know more about so that they can do
something about it.  I understand that the Forest OH and Safety Group is
open to the public and not just OH Professionals.  I firmly believe that
anything that gets OH discussed and raises it's profile is a good thing.

Regards,

Jeremy R F Smith
RGN AIIRSM BSc Hons (OHN)
Occupational Health Advisor - Dover Harbour Board