Here are copies of the 4 emails that I received in response to my query on
filament lifetimes; thanks to everyone who responded.
  I guess the summary is that filament lifetimes are considerably shorter
(factor of 5?) running at 500 microamps than at 200 microamps. If anyone
knows of some hard data on this subject, I'm still interested to see if
there is a way to calculate a theoretical or empirical filament lifetime.

Pete

Simon Kelley:
We run at 200 uA trap like all Ar people I guess and the filaments run at
between 2.35 and 2.45 A. We use the standard MAP coiled filament which is
on 24 hours a day (I know some people turn them of and claim it extends the
lifetime). I guess we have had between 2-6 years per filament with the low
end of that spectrum probably due to a badly fitted filament.

David Graham
We regulate at 500 uA emission. We
typically have filament currents of 3.2 to 3.5 A. They last about 12
months. Sometimes less and sometimes more. One lasted as long as 3 or
4 years (way back when).

Fin Stuart
I replaced the MAP filament last week so I can tell you exactly how long it
was in (since delivery early October 1999, plus some time in the factory).
I run @ 500 uA, filament current was 2.65 A on delivery but over the last 6
months has decreased down to 2.1 A

Bill McIntosh
In the New Mexico Geochronology Research Lab we use use a standard
MAP-supplied filament in our 215-50. We operate at a filament current of
2.5 A and a trap current of 200 um. We have only had to change the filament
once, last summer, after seven years of always-on operation. We are hoping
that our current filament will last as long.

Dr Pete Burnard
Division of Geological and Planetary Sciences,
California Institute of Technology MS100-23
Pasadena CA91125
USA

Tel: 626 396 3872       Fax: 626 683 0621       Website:
http://www.gps.caltech.edu/~peteb