Dietz Wrote:
> Matt+
> I agree with you that the experience of the whole place/space must be
> taken into account, but it sounds like you're suggesting that museums
> can't/shouldn't create informal or "non-religious" spaces, which being
> in the process of "experience planning" for a Herzog & de
> Meuron-designed addition to the Walker, I would disagree with.

I'm not sure where I'm located here except that I feel that museums, which
Adorno likened to materialist 'cathedrals', have to have a range of
experiences that are driven by the context of the content and the curatorial
vision of the experience that is desired. For example, there are some spaces
that deviate from the usual sterile white box stereotype.  The Let's
Entertain show a the Walker had a realy nice installation that incorporated
bean bag chair in cubicles for video viewing.  I nabbed a little of this in
the Through the Looking Glass show in which we piled up a dozen or so floor
pillows for a playful video area.  Similarly, I also installed a sereis of
generative soundspaces into the flooring so that the patron could not move
through the gallery withou engaging in some element of play when in certain
areas of the exhibition halle.

However, there were areas that were also nonresponsive for the traditional
gallery goer.

But then, what am I to do for my Information Appliances show?  In a show
that is based solely around the concept that art of the nomadic body is even
more fragmented than the Net, the ideal model would be to give a person a
Palm, a Cassiopeia and a Wap phone and tell them to curl up and knock
themselves out.  However, the logistics for this would be problematic to say
the least, as there would be guaranteed some loss of devices.

In addition, the concept of a nomadic show once again begs for networked
gallery space only.  For the first six months this will be the case, but
there will have to be physical venues in order to adress the public more
directly.

To me, everything must be held suspect and a potential site for
reconfiguration and experimentation.