All artists need is an encoder (realplayer) - PC for live streaming and then
access to a server somewhere to bounce the stream off (this can be pretty much
anywhere that can provide it - although probably best if its in the same
country just in terms of net congestion).

We've been streaming on and off at the Slade since 1997, and recently launched
http://not-tv.org which might be interested in being involved in such an
event.....

What is less straightforward but perhaps more interesting, would be testing out
alternatives to the broadcast (one to many) model........and perhaps this might
be something that this discussion list might want to get into at some
point(?!?)

in terms of costs its worth noting that you can download all the software you
need for free (although the free realserver does have simultaneous user limits
on it of around 50 I think).

best wishes
Susan Collins
Slade Centre for Electronic Media, London UK

Simon Biggs wrote:

> Julie Lazar wrote:
> > The generic topic:  what do artists need with regard to
> >making streaming media works/event/etc.  Any thoughts?  I thought perhaps
> >some smaller arts organizations could collaborate and stream to the site in
> >August.  Because there is little funding, and most of that comes from the
> >California Arts Council, the emphasis will probably be on CA artists and
> >resources.  But I'm for stretching it.  Any thoughts or ideas?
> -----
> Site Gallery in Sheffield, UK are starting an initiative in artist's
> streaming media this year. Whether their timing would fit with yours I am
> not sure. Try [log in to unmask] to inquire. Honor Harger at the Tate
> might also be interested?
>
> best
>
> Simon Biggs
> London GB

> http://hosted.simonbiggs.easynet.co.uk/
>
> Research Professor
> Art and Design Research Centre
> School of Cultural Studies
> Sheffield Hallam University
> Sheffield, UK
> http://www.shu.ac.uk/

-- Susan Collins, Head of Electronic Media, Slade School of Fine Art, UCL
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/slade/scemfa.html
http://www.susan-collins.net