Dear all,
the sunderland server problem seems more or less resolved, and so it's
good to catch up on the discussion on the list. I like the brief
introductions that people are posting, it's a good way to get to know
the bodies of knowledge of the other subscribers, might I encourage more
of you to write a few lines as to who you are?
In answer to Honor and Reiner's questions, no, I hadn't posted any texts
in advance of Lev Manovich's. I have since directed attention to Steve
Dietz's "Why have there been no great net artists" (available at
www.walkerart.org/gallery9/dietz). Any thoughts there? and yes, the
assignment is designed to reference Natalie Bookchin's original homework
piece... this was Vuk's suggestion. But as we're engaged in "research"
not "teaching" there is no grading or marking involved. it's pass or
fail based soley on participation! ;-)
In answer to Vicki Mitchell's question about online educational tools, I
should direct you to www.artsconnected.org - a site developed by the
Walker Art Center and the Minneapolis Institute of Arts in response to
government funding for curriculum development in the state of Minnesota.
Portions of the site were designed by Trudy Lane, the designer of crumb.
If this type of information is useful, and people have other links to
suggest, we'll add a new section to crumb for new media education
curators.

But to turn back to our discussion of the month (and I do hope our
invited participants will add their thoughts) - big media art in big
media institutions...
Reiner wrote, in a final parentheses:
(there have to be found/realized ways to present these different aspects
by
showing 'net-art', i prefer to say i-art, in public places -
environments
where the visitor is stimulated (or at least gets the chance) to
experience
the quality of the pieces).

and I ask in response, how is the museum different from a public place
in the sense meant here? Does the museum prohibit stimulated
interaction, and if so, why? does the i in "i-art" stand for intimacy
rather than internet or interactive??

thanks,
Sarah