Thanks for the responses on this, and they have made me ponder on the
seeming current lack of large physical interactive installations, and
a swing towards net-based or non-interactive new media.

>of course if one makes neatly packaged work, then this is a lot more
>straightforward for galleries, dealers and collectors...and this suits the
>work of some artists very well (and also helps them become collectable and
>therefore collected)...however if as an artist one is more interested in
>the edges, or exploring less charted terrain, or just plain investigating
>and ploughing fresh turf... then doubtless there will always be issues of
supporting the more ground breaking, less packageable entities -
(Susan Collins)

These may be for various reasons:
1.   Net-based or non-interactive new media are simply the latest
thing, and hence attract attention?
2.   Net-based or non-interactive new media are much easier to 'install'?
3.   Net-based or non-interactive new media are easier to integrate
into 'Duchamp-land' rather than remaining in 'Turing-land'?
4.   Net-based or non-interactive new media are cheaper to produce.

It may be a combination of all of these factors of course, but it
would be a shame, as large interactive installations  seem to have a
long-term and serious impact on the audience.

Again, it's the artists who seem to know most about this - perhaps
they should consider offering packages which, over and above what
might be expected of the installation phase and what has been
promised by the gallery, also charge professional rates for overtime
technical assistance, training of technical gallery staff, etc.! It
is perhaps more of a management issue for curators than a technical
one, as very few have Patrick's frightening level of skills. They
simply to need to schedule in time and money for staff training
before the the show, and maintenance DURING the exhibition, rather
than being up to their ears in the next project before the launch
wine glasses are packed away.

I'd like to reassure curators that although installations ARE hard
work, they are also very rewarding in terms of audience. People still
come up to me about a show from 6 years ago to tell me how it
affected them.

cheers,

Beryl