Dear crumb-ers,
The end of May has come and gone and much remains to be discussed. Stay
tuned for news from Beryl about June's theme of the month and invited
respondents.

In the meantime, I'd like to reiterate my request for curators on the
list to send us installation photos of new media exhibitions, alongside
notes and comments about how the projects worked or didn't given the
constraints or benefits of the gallery space. At the Baltic Seminar Vuk
Cosic and I decided it was time to create a database and look - in the
spirit of map-making - at what constitutes the minimal analytical unit
problem (MAUP) - in other words, what is the minimum we need to know in
order to make sure we don't keep making the same mistakes (or looking in
the same place for the answers) as the curators who have come before?
How do we widen our field of vision to take in greater and more varied
examples for the consideration of the exhibition of new media art work?

More on the idea of MAUP next week... but in the meantime, the first
rudimentary page is at

www.newmedia.sunderland.ac.uk/crumb/maup/maup.html

looking forward to your thoughts on how best to proceed...

thanks,
Sarah

(p.s. tip of the hat to Oliver Grau and his Database of Virtual Art,
details of which can be found at:
http://www.arthistory.hu-berlin.de/arthistd/mitarbli/og/og.html)