Hi list

Software as art

>If your artwork is 'software that does something' (such as Mongrel's
>'Linker' software) then what issues are involved? Do curators get it?
>Is it 'enabling others', or artwork in itself?

I could accept that Art is anything which folk present as Art and people
then look at in the special way they reserve for looking at Art. Though
perhaps as we are talking software I should say 'interact with' rather than
'look at'.

http://www.transmediale.de/01/en/software.htm

However proposes that there can be 'Art' residing in code itself.

Code can be elegant and imaginative, it may have clarity, simplicity,
strength, energy etc.  However does having an aesthetic necessarily make
something Art? I've seen this sort of aesthetic applied to mathematics,
engineering and architecture...

>   How do you 'show' or
>distribute it?

To interpret this literally: In a code development environment or simulator
where you can step forward, halt and continue the instruction sequence and
watch what happens?

If the idea is to establish that software is an Art form then it would be
logical to show it in a similar context and way as other Art: eg in some
kind of special space which invokes the necessary awe and aura; in a
museum/gallery - virtual or otherwise).

I suspect Transmediale might gain from promoting this in an advanced
academic computer engineering context. Similarly I'd have thought
programmers would be the folk best able to appreciate the aesthetic values
promoted by Transmediale.

Regards

Dave
David Franklin
Gallery Computing and Electronics
National Museum of Photography Film & Television
Bradford, Yorks , UK.  BD1 1NQ
Tel: 01274 203389

This e-mail and attachments are intended for the named
addressee only and are confidential. If you have received
this e-mail in error please notify the sender immediately,
delete the message from your computer system and
destroy any copies. Any views expressed in this message
are those of the individual sender and may not reflect the
views of the National Museum of Science & Industry.

The NMSI website can be found at http://www.nmsi.ac.uk