Dear MDN readers .....

We would very much appreciate your posting the following opportunities
for young
researchers in Chemical and Optical Physics, and please accept our
thanks for this posting!

Research positions at the Weizmann Inst of Science, available
immediately!

The Weizmann Institute in Rehovot, Israel seeks experimentalist
post-docs and graduate students to study laser-based coherent control of
chemical reactions.  This work is a collaborative project with Professor
Moshe Shapiro in theory and Visiting Professor Mark Keil in experiment.
The project is also conducted in conjunction with the COCOMO
collaboration within the EU and Associated countries.

We have developed and implemented non-linear optical techniques for
measuring and controlling the relative phases of nanosecond laser pulses
in order to control the electronic branching ratio of Na* produced by
the two-photon photodissociation of supersonic Na2 beams.  Theoretical
aspects are described in "Quantum Control of Chemical Reactions",
M.Shapiro and P.Brumer, J.Chem.Soc. Faraday Transactions 93, 1263
(1997).  While early experiments are described in "Experimental
Observation of Laser Control:  Electronic Branching in the
Photodissociation of Na2", A.Shnitman, I.Sofer, A.Yogev, and M.Shapiro,
Phys.Rev.Lett. 76, 2886 (1996), the current experiments utilize coherent
control and molecular beams, rather than incoherent control and bulb
conditions.  We have completed the construction of the entire optical
layout, phase measurement and control, and supersonic beams and
fluorescence detection system for the new experiments.

Our experimental work is directly supported by our theoretical work in
coherent control, and is being developed for many other systems of
chemical, semiconductor, and practical interest.  The experimental work
has also generated novel triplet state spectroscopy and nano-metrology
spin-off techniques.

The Weizmann Institute is a premier research institute in Rehovot,
Israel.  In addition to graduate students and large faculties in
Chemistry, Physics, Life Sciences, Mathematics, and Computer Science,
the Institute hosts several hundred overseas researchers and is a centre
of rich diversity and scientific collaboration.  The campus and town are
safe and pleasant environments.

Experience with any of the following will be very helpful:  pulsed
lasers, non-linear mixing techniques, interferometry, spectroscopy,
molecular beams, vacuum systems.  The post-doctoral positions are
available immediately for one year, and are renewable for a second
year.  The student position is available to begin in the Fall 2002.

Please e-mail, write, or call with c.v. and names of two or three
references to:

Mark Keil
Visiting Professor
Weizmann Institute of Science