  A lurking Librarian writes: Higher education has suffered a  40%
reduction in funding over the last 20 years . So you the tax payer now
get to pay twice ,once through your general taxation, and secondly
through access charges. Most University libraries allow access for
Reference only to their own Graduates, some such as Cambridge grant
borrowing facilities. Most libraries allow ref only visits because the
publishers allowed discount on purchases providing this privilege is
granted to Scholars, on an occasional basis, ie once or twice ayear.
 Fees are charged for access on a regular basis. The fee would only
cover the costs of  half of one expensive monograph. So it is an earner
but not a great one. Manchester University has a liberal policy of
allowing all researchers who ask for borrowing rights ,they have about
20,000 registered users over and above their complement of students and
staff . All libraries acquire their quota of eccentrics, dropouts and
those suffering form the usual delusional problems this way. Rather
like their usual patrons who pay their £1025 fees for courses and
library facilities and of course the staff. Don't blame me , just pay
more tax, But that won't work either since we are told there are no
votes in higher education, Ken Tidswell