Dear Colleagues,

I forward hereby the message which was sent by the Flemish Association for
Industrial Archaeology to the coordination committee of IVY - the
International Volunteers Year. It is important to note that 2001 has been
declared the International Year of Volunteers by the United Nations, but
that in none of the preparatory documents - as far as we know - heritage
volunteers have been mentioned, and that in general these completely seem
to have been forgotten by the UN IVY committee until now.
IVY can be contacted through :  [log in to unmask]

Greetings

A. Linters

FORWARDED MESSAGE - sorry for any cross posting

Comments on the following IVY message

 >Dear Friends,
 >Each month of IYV will focus on a special theme relating to volunteerism.
 >The XVI International Association for Volunteering Effort (IAVE) World
 >Volunteering conference, held recently, highlighted the spirit of 'Volunteer
 >Networking,' the IYV theme for January. See below for the themes for
 >upcoming months.
 >THEMES FOR IYV 2001
 >January: Volunteer Networking
 >February: Human Development and Poverty Alleviation
 >March: Gender and Women's Rights
 >April: Health
 >May: Emergency Relief
 >June: Environment
 >July: Private Sector and Corporate Volunteering
 >August: Youth, Education and Training
 >September: Peace
 >October: Older Persons
 >November: Children
 >December: Human Rights

We received the information on the monthly themes of IVY - International
Volunteers Year, and we deeply deplore that "heritage" has not been
mentioned as one of the themes to which thousands of volunteers all over
the world devote their time and activities to. A recent extrapolation
supposes that in the European Union alone at least 25,000 volunteer
organisations care or campaign for museum collections, historic buildings
and sites, old documents and works of art, archaeological remains, etc...
We deeply deplore the very little attention that is in your campaign
devoted to heritage volunteerism in general.

Sincerely Yours,

'Vlaamse Vereniging voor Industriële Archeologie'
(Flemish Association for Industrial Archaeology)
P.O. Box 30
B-9000   Gent-12
Flanders-Belgium
tel. (+32)(0)56/253373
fax  (+32)(0)56/255173
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
http://www.conservare.be/vvia
The VVIA is the overall volunteer association for the study, the
preservation and the interpretation of industrial and technical heritage in
Flanders
         visit our website at: http://www.conservare.be/vvia
The VVIA-website holds information on the campaign for
"2002: European Industrial and technical Heritage Year"
and on the European Forum of Associations for Industrial and Technical
Heritage / E-FAITH !
         Please note that E-FAITH has it's own website now at
http://www.e-faith.org/
Adriaan Linters

=     Vredelaan 72             =
=     B-8500   Kortrijk        =