> Both the Marquess of Bath & the Horners had mining interests in Somerset (coal
> and other minerals) and, I believe, the families may still hold the relevant
> records, at Longleat and Mells respectively. Does anyone know if this is the
> case, and if so, how complete the records are?

> Keith Ramsey
> University of Exeter
Keith - yes, this is the case - both being investigated in respect of coal (and other minerals) and (Horners) Fussell ironworks. The Earl of Oxford & Asquith (Mells Manor) has a part-time archivist with whom I can put you in touch if you contact me off list. I don't think the Horner records are fully catalogued as yet. The Thynne/Marquess of Bath records are at Longleat with a resident full time archivist and assistant. Access is possible but with pretty severe time constraints and they ask for written notice a fortnight in advance - and there is a charge. Again I can let you have details off list. Some material from Longleat was lodged at the Wilts RO in Trowbridge for a time; this material has been returned to Longleat now but Wilts RO has a catalogue/listing of it. I have extracted some of the references relating to coal from this catalogue (though I haven't looked at the actual records as yet) and can e-mail you a copy if that would be useful.

regards

James