Although I have no idea whether the workings at Haigh extended further than
 those on the N.E. coast - Ellington,Wearmouth,Easington etc(although I
understood their limit was approx 4 miles-is 6 in km. or miles,interesting
that the current
 imperial v metric court case is based in the area-Sunderland,once home to
 Seaham) I do understand that the manrider at Haigh was allowed to exceed
the regulation 8 mph speed and do 15 mph because of the distance to working
 faces.
      Also,interesting the Ellington pit pony myth is repeated here so soon
after
  the recent correspondence re. pit ponies(u/ground).Last one left a colliery
 two years ago.
             Andrew Santer