I have just been given some letters that were written by a now
deceased relative in 1992.  The relative (our Aunt Mabel) wrote about
some family members of old although she (Mabel) was 88 at the time and
her mind/memory was failing)  There is a very interesting section in
one letter which refers to 'Uncle Frank'.  This person was Francis
Joseph Clifford, born 1858, died 1952 and was the elder brother to
Walter Clifford, the subject of my research.

The section gives an insight into his character and lifestyle but also
touches on his work as a 'Sinker'.  In trying to ascertain how
accurate Mabel's account was I would ask if anyone can expand on the
method she refers to (sounds like an early method of bore hole
drilling?)

I quote from the letter :-

"Uncle Frank was quite a character.  He lived at Ilkeston when he was
at home, which I gathered was not very often.  He liked a drink - but
liked it too much at times.  However he held down a good job (good in
those days).  He was a Foreman Sinker.  In his duties he must have
walked all over England!.  In his 90's he could tell you how many
miles it was from A to Z!  Anyway I'll tell you about his job first.
It must have been quite interesting really as he went all over the
place.  He was 'boss' of a gang of men, he held all their wages until
they had finished the job and they were paid a lump sum at the end.
They used to go to various places and 'sink' for coal.  Somehow or
another they put long rods into the earth and brought up the layers of
everything, sand, clay and cola.  Whether they had any 'tackle' to do
it with I don't know, but they must have done and I seem to remember
towers of iron rising up from the ground.  When they found coal of
course I suppose that job was finished and they moved on to another,
probably walking and pushing hand carts with their tools and luggage.
Uncle Frank thought nothing of walking any distance, that seemed to be
the only way of getting around.  He never wore an overcoat, just a
short jacket type of thing......."

Regards

Phil Clifford

"Je Suis Prest"