> The author of the offensive message - Janice Neil - has been removed from
> the list.
>
> Peter

How is it that The Alderley Affair always seems to generate such heights of
passion and invective?

Martin's comment (the "gold bars"/are they real?/where
are they now? discussion.) is only part of the equation.

I visited the place, in company with a nice bloke called Jeremy Millns (but
obviously possessor of an invidious reputation 'in some quarters'), NT
archaeologist, about 5 years ago, and found the whole site and subject
riddled with mystery and inconsequence (and I'm not talking about The Wizard
or The Wierdstone of Brisingamen, though the author of same is part of the
'real-life' plot too...)

Underground clearance ('Derbyshire Donkeys') with no archaeological
surveillance ; collection of artefacts by all kinds of 'amateurs' (in France
we call them 'looters', but never mind...) ; underground access, to
important mine networks, to any old group of speleo-safari nutters via a key
hanging in a shed....not to mention the gold bar affair

Would someone be in a position to clearly state what on earth is really
going on on The Edge?

Ian Cowburn