From: "Mike Gill" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, June 18, 2001 1:24 PM
Subject: Helicopters - their place in mining history

Sorry,

Should have said - the helicopter did not crash (in flames or otherwise),
but it was mining related.

The Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority was using it to take building
materials to Blakethwaite smelt mill (yes, and the place where peat was
stored).  The hut that they built to store the stuff in blew away in a gale
a few weeks later!  The air-set bags of cement will give future
archaeologists something to ponder on.

Sadly, despite lots of enthusiasm for it, the NMRS/Bradford Univ. 'Early
Lead Smelting Project', is very quiet at present because F&M continues to
beset the Dales.  The fieldwork looks like having to wait until next year.
As Peter says "it has a lot of questions to answer".  Some indication of the
form these questions (at least some of them) might take is given in Sam
Murphy and H. Baldwin's paper on "Early lead smelting sites in the Swaledale
area of Yorkshire" Historical Metallurgy Vol.35, No.1 (2001), pp.1-21.

Mike