Dear All

Peter wrote about Justin Brooke and the Swedish travel diaries

> However, I have also benefited from his ability to read archaic
>(18th c.) Swedish script, an exchange which will bear fruit in the
>near future when he publishes his work on Kahlmeter's Journal
>with all that it tells us of the economy of the south-west at that
>period.

I take it the list knows of the imminent publication by the Science
Museum of the translation of Angerstein's great travel diary, of the
mid C18, and due out around April?

This will include numerous drawings of mining in Cornwall, Mendip
etc

I expect Justin will mention it in his intro, but there is in Sweden a
collection of letters written by Kalmeter in English, describing his
travels.

The diaries of Bengt Ferrner, an extract of which covering Bath and
Bristol I published in the  mid 1980's, are available in a modern
Swedish edition and could well justify full tranlsation.

And what about a proper translation of Jar's great book?

There is an enormous amount of material out there covering all
aspects of C18 technology which awaits investigation and
publication. With modern DTP and the Net, work like this has
become much easier than it once was. We owe a duty to later
generations of technical historians to get material like this much
more readily available than it has been hitherto.

Regards
Regards

Tony Woolrich
Museum modelmaker & writer on technical history www.ap-woolrich.co.uk.