Underground Clwyd / The Armchair Explorer’s Guide / A pictorial
expedition into the nether regions of Northeast Wales by Cris Ebbs.
December 2000.  72 pp 64 B&W photos, 3 colour photo on front and rear
covers.  SB £9.95*

The sub title Armchair Explorers’ Guide is very apt as this book depicts
many mines which I am never likely to visit.  They have either
collapsed,been filled in or are just too difficult to get to.  So instead of
diving a sumped passage or abseiling down a 400 foot shaft Cris takes one on
an underground journey from the comfort of one’s own armchair.  The book is
conveniently divided up into 6 sections: stone mines, slate mines,
collieries, lead mines, bone caves and sporting caves.  In an ideal world
each section would warrant one or more books each, but Cris has condensed
this down in to one gem of a book by selecting the best photograph for each
topic, often calling upon other photographic experts to provide some of
their best photographs.  For example Martyn Farr provides a superb shot of
the limestone mines at Hendre.  Here, there is a massive pillar and stall
passage, nearly 100 foot high and invisible to the ordinary caver with his
everyday caving light.  But Martyn has somehow managed to illuminate this
passage and show its true size with seemingly minute figures for scale.

Other memorable photos are the Suspension Bridge in Moel Ferna, the 5.75
ton Howitzer in Grange Caverns and the heavily scaffolded entrance to Gas
Pot.  A memorable collection of photographs and an essential addition to
every mining historian’s book shelf.

* I got my copy from Mike Moore:       [log in to unmask]