At 19:24 13/02/01 +0100, you wrote:
>   Have anybody heard of these mines ? I have the  names from mine accident
>reports of 1998-2000.

>Foss miscellaneous mine

Foss Mine is a very successful Barytes mine operated by MI Great Britain
Ltd (who I think may be part of the Dresser Group). The mine is located to
the north of Aberfeldy, Perth and Kinross. The mine has been operating for
many years producing Bartyes for use as drilling mud in the North Sea. The
mineral is taken by road for processing in Aberdeen (I think). The company
were unsuccessful a couple of years ago with a planning application for a
new mine to the east of Foss. The main bone of contention was the transport
of the ore cross country towards Aberdeen and visual impact (but mostly the
NIMBY attitude of an an influential group of local residents). The company
have recently reapplied for planning addressing the transport and visual
issues. I wish them every success, rural Scotland, needs the skilled and
well paid employment that the mine supports.

Other Scottish underground non-coal mines include: -

1. LOCHALINE MINE - located on the Morven penisula (due east of northern
Mull) produces very high quality Silica sands from Cretaceous white
sandstone. I believe that the mine processes the sand and transports by
small coasters. The mine is operated by Tilcon

2. SUNDRUM & QUILKIESTONE MINE - Honestone mines both located by Stair,
Ayrshire. I have no knowledge of the scale or working conditions of these
mines or for that matter what Honestone is?

Other mines producing inmdutrial minerals that come to mind: -

1. BRITISH GYPSUM mines
                                FAULD, Staffs - high quality Gypsum
                                BARROW, Leics - Gypsum - may be closed
                                NEWBIGGIN, Cumbria - Gypsum and Anhydrite

2. WINSFORD MINE, Cheshire - rock salt

3. BOULBY MIME, Cleveland - Potash and rock salt

Graham Owens

* Graham Owens             *