I am trying to trace details of a hydraulic engine designed by an ancestor
of mine, (William Whitham, 1795-1865). I quote from a family letter dated
July 3rd 1864.
'I received the final order for the Hurst Mine engine the 9th of last month
and, on the same day, engaged the Messrs Walker and Sands of Heckmondwike to
make them. Two months ago when I was sent for to Richmond I found no less a
competitor in the field than the celebrated Sir William Armstrong whose
rifled cannons and hydraulic cranes have rendered him so famous. ......
There are two descriptions of duty to be performed by the hydraulic power in
our lead mines, namely pumping out the waters and raising all the minerals
from the depths to the surface. Both these tasks I have performed with one
engine, Sir William says he must have two engines, one to raise the waters,
and the other to raise the minerals; and accordingly his drawings embody two
engines. His price he estimated at 1110 pounds; my price is just 500 pounds.
The engine will be ready about the first week in October; but before that
time I shall have employment at Hurst in making peparations.'
I would be grateful if anyone could give ANY information about this engine,
Ideally I should like to know if any drawings exist.
A few years ago I contacted Beamish museum, the Institute of mechanical
engineers, Richmond Museum, Northallerton Library, Peak District Mining
Museum, Earby Mines Research Group, Northern Mine Research Society, The
Cambourne School of Mines and the Patent Office, all with no luck!
Many thanks, Bryan.