----- Original Message -----
From: Lydia Martens
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2001 4:40 PM
Subject: Forthcoming NVIVO training

PLEASE DO NOT HIT THE REPLY BUTTON. MY APOLOGIES FOR CROSS-POSTING.
Introduction to NVIVO

University of Durham (UK)

If you are involved in, or embarking upon, research with qualitative materials, you are no doubt considering whether you should use one of the computer-based applications for assisting you in your work. You may feel that you should, and there are indeed very good reasons for doing so, but the problem may be getting familiar with the software. This can be both time-consuming, and difficult to achieve on your own.

This one day introduction to the newest QSR facility: NUD*IST Vivo (also known as NVIVO), is intended for researchers and research students who have a basic working knowledge of doing qualitative thinking/analysis work. The session will familiarise you with the software in a situation where time is allocated for that specific purpose, and in an environment with others who are there for a similar purpose. The training is organised around small groups of approximately 10 people, and takes place in an IT setting. There will be on-screen illustration of the software's interfaces, and the workings of the various software facilities will be illustrated with the use of netsupportschool and a 'real' project. Some time will be available for hands-on access to the software to try out several of the software's facilities.

About myself: I am a sociologist with extensive research experience (qualitative and quantitative) and experience in teaching research methods at UG and PG levels. I have working experience with NVIVO and the earlier versions of the QSR software: I currently use NVIVO for a project on gender & consumption, and have worked with N3 on a project on eating out which started in 1995. I have trained various groups of researchers, colleagues and PG students in the use of NVIVO and I have informally trained colleagues in the use of N3 in the past.

Contact details:
Dr Lydia Martens, Department of Sociology and Social Policy, University of Durham, 32 Old Elvet, Durham DH1 3HN.
Tel: 0191 374 7246
Email: [log in to unmask]

If you are interested in the December training day, contact me for a programme and a booking form. The cost of this session is £120 (academic & public rate) and £180 (commercial rate). Some places are made available for PhD students at the reduced rate of £70. I am willing to host training at your institution, also in the N4 and N5 software packages, if the IT resources are appropriate. Please contact me to discuss your ideas.