Dear Carmel
The only reference I can suggest is Jean Ball's
Birthrate Plus. The DoH have recognised this as being
the only tool we have at present to demonstrate the
workload attached to a midwife's role in the care of
the broad spectrum of women & babies and various
social stratifications etc.
Yes, the baby should be counted as separate to the
mother. That is why midwifery has get itself into such
a poor state with regard to staffing levels. Midwives
constantly count mother and baby as one unit, whereas
care of the baby takes up a huge chunk of the
midwife's time and we do not do ourselves any favours
to dismiss the baby's existence! ( Let alone our
responsibility under The Children Act!).
Contact Ann Jackson-Baker at the RCM ( English
Board)for more details Re: Birthrate Plus as there are
a number of pilot sites being used to demonstrate true
staffing levels required for midwifery care.
Good luck.
Best wishes
Belinda

--- "Collins, Carmel (NUR_MID_RES)"