Subject:    Re: basic stats
Author: <[log in to unmask]>
Date:       12/6/01 8:20 AM

Dear list

I am composing a letter to the New York Times in response to a column
written by an American  woman proclaiming that what made having a baby so
great in
England was chats and tea drinking postpartum with midwives!!!!!! She
seems to have had a doctor attend her in labor, and metions how relaxed
and easygoing all the "doctors and nurses were". !!!!!!!!!!!!

Missing the point shall we say ....

Does anyone know where I can find updated stats on the percentage of
births attended by midwives in the UK and the infant mortality rate? I
want to throw in some broad statements about the much worse
morbidity/mortality rate in this country. In New York City this year
midwives attended 1 in 10 births.

It is, as you all know, no joke, that midwifery is still not understood in
this country.

Thanks

Dana Sidney, RM (UK), CNM (US)