I agree with Ian but think that it is not so much a case of 'persuading' members to post sensibly as educating them. The first e-mail experience that many people have is with an organisation-wide network and (dare I say it) 'sophisticated' e-mail facililties. Attachments are a fact of daily life and, for the lucky ones, size doesn't matter. Joining an e-mail discussion list on the Internet for the first time, many do not realise that they can't bring their private network e-mail habits with them. Perhaps a reminder in the introductory document that is sent to new members might avoid accidental posting of attachments.

Sue Gordon
MCG Chair
tel: 01494 772096
fax:01494 792492

On Mon, 8 Jan 2001, Michael Comiskey wrote:

> There was a recent discussion of this very issue on Museum-L (which
> does not allow attachments due to the previous spreading of viruses
> via messages to that list). HP3000-L also has this policy.
>
> Ian, is there any way for you as list manager to disable the
> distribution of attachments?

I am still trying to find my way round the JISCmail commands, but the
only obvious way I can see of stopping attachments is to have a list
moderator. This is something I am reluctant to put in place unless it is
absolutely necessary. Apart from hampering free-flowing debate (chance
would be a fine thing at the moment!), such a move is apparently
trickier to set up where only list members can post, which is the case
at present. This stops most spam from reaching the list. The listowners'
lot is not necessarily a very happy one as it usually bounces back to us
instead!

If members would prefer to receive daily news of unique opportunities to
access assorted porn sites, or have amazing opportunities to make lots of
money (allegedly), I could open up the list to allcomers, moderated, but I
think it is possibly best to leave the settings as they are at the moment
and try to persuade members to post responsibly.

---
Ian (also trying not to be snippy!)

Ian O. Morrison, Scottish Museums Documentation Officer
http://homestead.deja.com/user.ian_o_morrison/index.html
Hostes alienigeni me abduxerunt