I don't claim any wonderful insight here, since the link was recommended in
The Guardian. However, in case you missed it, you might like to have a look
at:

http://historywired.si.edu/index.html

Another innovative way of examining museum objects from the Smithsonian.

Their site, Revealing Things, is still up too.
http://historywired.si.edu/index.html

(more on my links website http://www.suzannekeene.net)

regards

Suzanne