On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, Peter Gray wrote:

> Has anyone else received the following? I was especially unimpressed by
> the
> legal threat at the end. I get the impression that the sender hasn't a
> clue
> about who will be entitled to use the .museum domain. But then he uses
> the
> .net domain and isn't really entitled to that (hardly appropriate for =
> proposed business listings site).
>
> AIUI pre-registration is meaningless, and actually impossible, and the
> .museum TLD will be administered by the unfortunately-named MDMA
>
> With respect to this attempted scam, you may be interested in:
>  <http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/alerts/domainalrt.htm>
> http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/alerts/domainalrt.htm

The former MDMA now styles itself MuseDoma. Their website at
   http://www.musedoma.org
gives full details of the controls which will be placed on use of the
.museum domain, when that comes into being. MuseDoma basically comprises
ICOM and the Getty. AIUI, the .museum domain is intended to scupper just
this sort of scam.

Ian O. Morrison, Scottish Museums Documentation Officer
http://ianmorrison.topcities.com/index.htm
Hostes alienigeni me abduxerunt