From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2001 9:19 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Attachments and viruses

For what it's worth, lis-medical is the only open list I'm on that permits
attachments.  An American-based list I subscribe to strips out everything
except bare text.

Tony McSean

                    Liz James
                    <[log in to unmask]        To:
                    K>                        cc:
                    Sent by: This is          Subject:     Attachments and
viruses
                    an open discussion
                    list for members
                    of the UK medical/
                    health care
                    <LIS-MEDICAL@JISCM
                    AIL.AC.UK>

                    05/02/2001 10:37
                    Please respond to
                    Liz James

For what it's worth, I personally (and this not necessarily the view of my
employer) support Tony.  We had a virus last year caught from some idiot
who sent
an infected attachment to the list.  My PC was tied up nearly all day being
sorted
out and no, I didn't open the attachment either.  I know these things can
happen
by accident and it's not malicious, but the list rules clearly state that
you
shouldn't send attachments no matter how clean your systems may be.  We too
have
umpteen layers of virus protection but the viruses are proliferating more
quickly
than the cures can be found.  It's a tough world, I'm afraid!

Best wishes to all.

Liz

--

Liz James
Technical Services Librarian

www.kingsfund.org.uk

"No heaven wil not ever Heaven be
Unless my cats are there to welcome me."

This message has been checked for all known viruses by UUNET delivered
http://www.uk.uu.net/products/security/virus/

the system manager ([log in to unmask])

www.bma.org.uk