This message is confidential, you may use and apply the information
only for the intended purpose. Internet communications are not secure and
therefore the College does not accept legal responsibility for the
contents of this message. Any views or opinions expressed are solely
those of the author and may not represent those of the College. If you
are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or
use of it, or any part of it, in any form whatsoever, and any actions
unlawful. Hackney Community College monitors all email contents and systems
to ensure system integrity and security.

Thanks to the many people who had advice to give on the problem of getting library books back at the end of the academic year.

I've just got a few points to make on the subject.

1.  From my experience (and from what I've heard from other people) FE college libraries have to operate in very different circumstances from university libraries.  There seems to be much more co-operation between the Learning Resources Service and other departments in universities to ensure all debts are cleared at the end of the year.  FE libraries seem to have to struggle along on their own with minimal support on problematic issues from other departments (including, I have to say, on disciplinary issues with students).  I'm not sure that any system for getting books back which demands strong co-operation from other departments would work in this college.

Someone mentioned that they have a system which stops students with overdue items logging into computers, with a reminder appearing on the screen to go to the library.  They also have 3 grace logins so that they can finish off urgent work.

This sounds like a good idea, but again, we are held back here by the poor liaison with our IT department.  If that could be improved, then this option might be one to consider.

2.  We sent letters to tutors notifying them of students who had overdue books and have had a few books returned thanks to them phoning students at home.  This is something we could think about doing ourselves perhaps but would involve 600 phone calls which is rather a lot.

One of the best ideas, which I had already thought of, is emphasizing to the lecturing staff/heads of department in the letters that the total amount owed by students in that curriculum area will come out of next year's budget for that area.  I have had feedback that this seems to worry the lecturers into action!

3.  The dilemma of whether to charge fines or have some sort of deposit system is problematic as this is an inner-city college in one of the poorest boroughs in London.  We have a high proportion of asylum seekers and unemployed students who simply could not afford to pay.  For those institutions who operate the deposit system, what amounts do you think would be appropriate?

4.  The holding back of exam certificates seems to be problematic in FE libraries as most qualifications are not given by the institution itself (as with universities), but an outside awarding body.  I'm not sure that the College actually follows through any threats to withhold them.

Many thanks for all the advice.  It was very useful.

Rachel Price
Learning Resources Officer
Hackney Community College