Apologies for cross-posting.

We were wondering how other authorities handled colour and black and white printing.  We have recently installed a number of very high quality colour laser printers for use by the public.  At present these print by default in full colour.  This seems rather expensive for the majority of users printing balck and white text.

We are considering using the black and white printing as the default and offering the public the option to select full colour when they send the print request.  For security, however, our OPACs, running under NT4, are locked down so that the settings cannot be changed, which of course includes the printer set up.  Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution?

Catherine Cooke
Westminster Libraries and Archives