Hello fellow lislinkers

I am looking into policies on fining and wonder whether any academic libraries out there have successfully introduced a no-fines policy.

If so:

What measures did you take to encourage users to return books on time?

Did you have problems with users playing the system and holding on to books until assignments/exams were finished?

We found that several students took out all the books they needed so were not worried when a 'stop' was put on further borrowing.  Other students who put reservations on these books had no chance of getting them unti it was too late.  The offenders then simply returned the books and had their borrowing rights re-established with no penalty.

I'd be grateful for any comments.

Many thanks
Gwenda