From: [log in to unmask]
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 27 February 2001 16:57
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Web site or website?

As a brief (and rather sad) coda...

Using Lexis-Nexis to track changes in usage over time through newspapers,
journals and newswires, the results were (by number of articles found):

                website         web site
2000            198,839         302,916
1999            112,109         228,349
1998            54,404          140,416
1997            22,557          76,977
1996            6,861                   39,560
1995            1,057                   9,220
1994            143                     338
1993            119                     64
1992            0                       25
1991            0                       0

So, my conclusions are that both forms came into use at more or less the
same time with more or less the same frequency, "web site" became the
preferred form and is still the most popular, but over the last five years
"website" has made a remarkable comeback and looks like it may well become
the more popular in the next year or so.

No real scientific basis at all to this of course. Just a bit of fun.

Luke