BOOK REVIEWS - MANAGING INFORMATION

I have just become Book Reviews Editor for the ASLIB journal 'Managing Information', see: http://www.managinginformation.com
It has a hard copy circulation of approximately 10,500 and is distributed world-wide. Many more access 'Managing information' on the web.

I am seeking book reviewers for the journal. So if you are interested in reviewing books in the fields of information/knowledge management, librarianship, the Internet, intellectual property and related fields (e.g. copyright, libraries and education, libraries and lifelong learning), then please contact me for further information at: [log in to unmask]

GATS: PRIVATE AFFLUENCE AND PUBLIC SQUALOR? IMPLICATIONS FOR LIBRARIES AND INFORMATION

I have an article in the latest issue of 'Managing Information' (December 2001, vol.8 no.10, pp.8-10) which analyses some of the implications of the World Trade Orgainsation's (WTO) General Agreement on Trade in Services (GATS) for the future of libraries and information. It summarises some of the main points discussed on a BBC Radio 4 programme ('You & Yours') that I recently participated in, and then provides further analysis. If you would like a copy of the tape transcription of the 'You & Yours' programme then please contact me and I will send one by e-mail attachment.

INFORMATION FOR SOCIAL CHANGE

I am currently editing a Special Issue of the journal Information for Social Change on Globalisation and Information, which will be coming out in January 2002. Writers in the issue will include Clare Joy (World Development Movement), Fiona Hunt (Progressive Librarians Guild), Jonathan Rutherford (Middlesex University and Signs of the Times) and Alex Nunn (Association of University Teachers and an authority on the GATS).

Copies of Information for Social Change and further enquiries from: John Pateman - [log in to unmask] and from myself. The Information for Social Change web site is at: http://libr.org/ISC/

Ruth Rikowski - lectures in knowledge management at South Bank University and in computing studies at the University of Greenwich. She is also undertaking research on knowledge management. Ruth has worked in a variety of library organisation in the public and private sectors, and has also implemented and maintained computerised library systems. She has published articles in Managing Information, Business Information Review,  Current Issues in EducationLINK-UP: The Newsletter of LINK - a network for north-south library development, and in UC&R - University, College & Research Group Newsletter. She has also given guest lectures in knowledge management and information technology and will be speaking at the forthcoming ASLIB Conference on Mobilising Knowledge for Business Performance (8 May 2002, Brunei Gallery, London).