Apologies for cross posting

It is with sadness and regret that the British Library announces that
Herbert Van de Sompel, recently appointed Director of e-Strategy &
Programmes, has decided to leave the Library. Since his arrival on 1st
September, it has become evident that despite the best efforts of both
parties to focus the role on digital library developments and our
international profile, Herbert has, however, decided that he would be
better able to contribute to the digital library world in a more research-
centred environment.

Lynne Brindley, the Library’s Chief Executive said: ”Since his arrival,
Herbert has had a major impact on our thinking, particularly around our
approach to the Digital Library System project. We very much hope to keep
up our relationship with him as he moves on from the Library to pursue his
innovative developments in a different environment. We sincerely wish to
thank Herbert for his contribution during his time here and we give him our
support and best wishes for his future”.

Herbert Van de Sompel said: “I would like to thank Lynne and all my
colleagues at the BL for their enthusiasm since I arrived here. I have been
very impressed with the breadth and quality of activities going on at the
Library and I very much hope to keep up my links with people here after I
move on. I wish Lynne and the Library all the best with its major efforts
to re-organise and shape itself for the future it has ahead”.

Herbert will continue at the BL until 11th February 2002, during which time
he will be working on a range of activities and projects. The Library will
now review the requirements of the post.