Spice up your Career: making the most of the opportunities at your fingertips

Friday 2nd November 1.00-5.00pm
 Library Association Charter Suite East
£45.00 PTEG members £50.00 others

This half-day seminar is intended for library assistants who are interested
in career development within an increasingly volatile working environment.
In particular, it will help participants to:
· Identify what employability is and why it is increasingly relevant to
library and information work
· Consider what employers are looking for and how our own skills and
experience match up
· Explore practical approaches to personal and professional development
including making the most of the appraisal process
· Exchange ideas and experience in a supportive environment
· Develop personal plans for future action

Programme

13.00   Coffee and registration
13.15   Welcome and introductions
13.30   What employers look for - making your best better. [Philippa Dolphin
(BBK), Margaret Snook (Greenwich)]
14.15   Employment or employability : developing your skills base. [Anne
McIlwaine (UCL)]
14.45   Maximising our potential: Practical ways to improve our skills and
self-confidence.
[Sheron Burton (Royal Society of Medicine)]
15.15   Tea/Coffee
15.30   Exploring the options. Choice of one of the following: -
1 Library School or not?  [Sheron Burton]
2 Training and professional development opportunities:  what is available
for library assistants   [Anne McIlwaine]
16.00   Plenary session SB
16.15   Action planning session and summary(Practical)SB/AM
16.45   Summary and end of session SB/AM

BOOKING FORM

 Personnel Training and Education Group
Spice up your Career: making the most of the opportunities at your fingertips
Friday 2nd November 1.00-5.00pm
 Library Association Charter Suite East

Please complete this booking form and return it to:

Clare Nankivell
Director, Centre for Information Research,Faculty of Computing, Information
& English,University of Central England,
Penny Barr, Birmingham, B42 2SU
Tel. 0121 331 7664  Fax. 0121 331 5675
Email. [log in to unmask]

BOOKING FORM
Name
Organisation
Job Title
Contact Address:

Telephone no.
Fax no.
Email
No of delegates
PTEG members £45.00 excl. VAT

No of delegates
Non PTEG members £55.00 excl. VAT

I enclose a cheque for £__________ .
(Cheques should be made to Personnel Training and Education Group)
Please invoice me £__________ .

All bookings are non refundable if cancelled after 26/10/01

Anne McIlwaine
Assistant Librarian, Staff Development
Library Services
University College London