Quite a few people have asked me to summarise my findings on losses from
academic
libraries for the list:

Many people quoted figures of 1% for libraries with security systems, 4%
without, though
I don't know where this stat originally came from.

Yvonne Cotton asked the same question a few years ago and came up with a lot
of stats, so
I've reproduced her e-mail:

We undertook a complete stocktake of our book stock at Teesside (excluding
our store) in 1999 and we came up with a figure around 2.1%. However, this
was much lower than many other libraries I got information from. We do
stocktakes on a fairly regular basis, the last one being in 1994, so there
were fewer years between for books to go missing compared with other
institutions. I sent a message to Lis-Link in 1999 and these are the figures
I received:
Royal Shrewsbury Hospital c.10% (1st stocktake for 6 years)
Central School of Speech and Drama 11.2% in 1st 20% of stock (1st in 12
years)
University of Wales, Newport 5.89% (1st in "many years")
Doncaster College 1.8%
University College, Worcester 8.5%
University of North London 7.5%
Park College, Eastbourne 5.4% in 1998 and 1.769% in 1999 (1998 1st in "many
years")
Liverpool John Moores c.9% (1st in "many years")
Northumbria Uni 15% (1st for about 5 years)
Leeds Metropolitan 4.4% (1st in 6 years)

I suspect ours will be much higher!!!!

Liz Wyman,
Learning Resources Manager,
Leek College,