I agree with Nickie that filtering software is a waste of time, it lacks
any subtlety. However, there is a wider issue here. One persons freedom
is another s oppression, hence for example free speach can only be
permited within limits to prevent incitment to racism, etc. Librarians
are gatekeepers, we provide the access, and skills to enable users to
access a huge variety of information sources, but we must be careful
that freedom of access does not become a holy cow absolving us of all
responsibility for what we ive access to. The usual example is the
terrorist looking for bomb making instructions, but normally it is going
to be far less clear cut; are pictures of child mutilation and abuse
acceptable - if the student has a project on the subject yes clearly,
but an engineering student using it for titilation would clearly be
unacceptable. And then there is the issue of others seeing the images in
passing and being distressed...I do not propose hard and fast rules, but
I do not think we can abrogate responsibility. As the gatekeepers we
have to exercise some form of access policy, determined I would suggest
be the law of the land, the aims of our employing organisation, and
conscience.

Donald