Oh dear. I was hoping not to respond to any more of these.

My experience in political activism tells me the opposite. When calls are
made for these types of initiatives, they don't CREATE divisions, they
merely bring to the surface those that are already there, which your average
white, straight person can blithely ignore till some stressed out minority
person takes their courage in their hands and brings it to their attention.
Once it is under everyone's noses nothing is ever the same again, which can
be a very uncomfortable sensation for those whom the status quo suited.
However, with goodwill and continuing work, something better than what was
there before can result. I am from a different place, I'm a New Zealander
and we tend to be more optimistic; I've seen good changes come from this
sort of initiative, lets not give up on the chance of a truly inclusive
society. I know people in London who live in areas where inclusive ethnic
diversity is much closer to reality than it was 20 years ago; this is not a
coincidence but thanks to the work of those brave souls who brought their
troubles to the attention of those in charge.

OK, I'll try and stop now.

Sarah :-)

Tom Roper wrote:

> As a veteran of London Labour local authorities in the 1980s I think
> there's a great deal of evidence that splitting up an organisation by
> race, sex, etc etc ad infinitium, promotes the very sort of division and
> discord that it claims to be against....so yes, I'm afraid historical
> experience does makes me think that they are mutually exclusive.
> But this sort of discussion surely should take place within the LA
> structures, not on this list? There's the AGM this afternoon...that's
> the place to raise this.
>
> Tom Roper, Head of RCVS Library and Information Service
> Tel (library): +44 (0)20 7222 2021
> Direct line: +44 (0)20 7202 0721
> Fax: +44 (0)20 7222 2004
> E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Ms. Sarah Currier
Research Fellow
INSPIRAL Project
Centre for Digital Library Research
Andersonian Library, University of Strathclyde
101 St. James Road, Glasgow G4 0NS
United Kingdom
Tel: +44 (0)141 548 4586; Fax: +44 (0)141 548 2102
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Web: http://inspiral.cdlr.strath.ac.uk/