> These discussions are not "plotting and scheming". This is a valid
> discussion relevant to the library profession as a whole, and it concerns
> our responsibility as a profession within wider society. I for one would
> like this profession to acknowledge and discuss these issues, and LIS-LINK
> is a very valuable resource for achieving this.

Thoroughly seconded!

> > If LA members really want a "Diversity Council", so be it...I think most
> > of us would be more interested in developing professional unity...

You make it sound as though you feel the two are mutually exclusive aims -
Is this what you intended, or an accident of the written word without the
nuances of voice etc?

I would hope that any such council would embrace an all encompassing 'equal
opportunities' policy, covering all aspects of difference, not just a
limited list. Perhaps it would help if they made it explicit that their
remit was not limited to a fixed list of 'approved minorities'? The fact
that it may be possible for someone to 'disguise' their 'difference' doesn't
make it right that they should have to.

Alice Nutton

Undergraduate Programme Librarian
University of Notre Dame London Centre