I'm sure there are those who will give chapter and verse but:

When I took GCEs in 1962  I got percentages
A year or so later grades were introduced and there were six grades A-F
When the GCE and CSE merged some years later, GCE A-F became GCSE A-C, with
CSE grades other than 1/A becoming the lower GCSE grades

On Thu, 28 Jun 2001 16:50:05 +0100 "Lewis,Aran M" <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> There were pass grades of A, B, and C, and I think, but I'm not sure, D and
> below were fails (I'm too vain to remember!)

Michael Heaney
Head of Service Assessment and Planning
University Library Services
University of Oxford