Hear, hear!

Re Mr Kent's latest missive, I'd have thought a professional librarian could
give more helpful citations than "IFLA's landmark report", "confirmed by
Amnesty International" and "verified by the Chornicle [sic] of Higher
Education"; allow me to offer a quotation from -

"Our LAN in Havana: Networking with People and Computers in Cuba," by Steve
Cisler, 1994. Published on the IFLA's web site at-

http://www.ifla.org/IV/misc/cubasc.txt

"The human rights abuses cited by the State Department are real, but they
are far less compared to those of many countries we count as our allies, and
as journalists have asked, why deal with China,Vietnam, and North Korea and
not Cuba. Because Cuba is a domestic issue, not an international one. And,
of course, Clinton's relative in Miami (daughter of the owner of Cuba's
largest department store at the time of Batista) has his ear, at least for
now."

And from that "IFLA landmark report" published by the IFLA at-

http://www.faife.dk/faife/cubarepo.htm

"Marta Terry (Chair) reported that she and other members of the Executive
Board of ASCUBI [Cuban Library Association - our colleagues, please note, Mr
Kent] conducted an inquiry on the issues put forward by the press release
(political troubles for Cuban librarians), as well as on the very existence
of the libraries referred to, since we had no information on them at all,
and the persons mentioned in the press release had no contact with ASCUBI or
the profession at large in Cuba. Contacts with the authorities concerned
resulted in the confirmation that the persons mentioned in the press release
were never subject to arrest or imprisonment."
"Nevertheless the general situation regarding the independent libraries in
Cuba and the incidents reported by FCL and CubaNet have been confirmed by
the FAIFE investigations on Cuba by the people concerned."

These "investigations" consisted of contacting "representatives of the
Independent Libraries directly by phone". These people, whom the IFLA calls
"A dissident group, encouraged and probably also partly financed by foreign
interests, [which] has established some amateur libraries to challenge the
current government of Cuba in regard to intellectual freedom",
unsurprisingly confirmed their own allegations - and that is the substance
of this "landmark report"!

The report has an annex which the IFLA calls "Background information on the
Independent Libraries Project"; this is copied verbatim from Cubanet [Kent's
web site].

That's all from me on this for now, lest I be accused of list abuse,

Cheers, Aran Lewis.

Aran Lewis