Coffee / Refreshment area within the library space

Many thanks to all those who replied to my email. A summary of the replies is
given below.
One of the replies also pointed me to a useful paper by ARL(Association of
Research Libraries) in the USA on managing food and drink in libraries
(http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byorg/arl/237fly.html).

The original message seemed to arouse strong feelings either for or against the
idea. Some archived discussion on MedLib in America was equally polarised. On
the whole users seem to like of studying and drinking a coffee and I definitely
feel that the idea merits serious consideration in my own Information Services
Centre. Replies about refreshment facilties fell into the following areas:

1. Coffee area under consideration as a way of managing food and drink issues in
large undergraduate populations. In some cases students have requested these
facilities.

2. Refreshment area provided within library space - one was in a newly refurbished
university LRC. It is popular as a study area and it is also an area where
users eating, drinking, chatting, using mobiles can be directed. Seen to be
good at reducing staff-user conflict but also good PR. Extra cleaning support
has been needed and the area can get messy but considered to be worth it.
Another example had been in place for 9 or 10 years and was not particularly
attractive. Users generally good about keeping coffee to a designated area.

3. Small information services. The original message was posted on lis-link and
lis-medical so there are some examples from small professional libraries
without the problems of intensive undergraduate use. They aimed to increase
user friendliness and often allowed coffee anywhere in the library. In some
cases librarians themselves provided coffee for users and made a small charge
or asked for a donation. None of these had problems with spillage or damage.

4. Withdrawal of refreshment facilities. This example came from a FE College
where the associated mess and high noise levels became unacceptable.

5. Refreshment area located from hard copy stock. There were some examples
(one from Germany) of facilities being provided in reprographic or similar area
away from printed materials. These were also popular.

6. There were a few examples from public libraries.
Few spillage problems and facilities make a profit.

7. Barriers to refreshment provision - these were largely based around funding
for some refurbishment, practical problems such as access to plumbing and
conflicts with local catering facilities.

All of the examples above are based around automatic dispensing machines
for drinks and snacks.

Jean Yeoh
Information Services Centre Manager
King's College London