Hello,
        Back in April this year I posted a message to
Lis-link, Artdeslib and Arlis-link about dvds in academic
libraries. I wanted feedback and advice from other academic
libraries especially about players, security and management
of dvd collections. I received 5 replies to my initial
posting from Napier University, Anglia Polytechnic
University, Central Saint Martins School of Art, Nottingham
Trent University and Sheffield Hallam University. I
received information about a further 4 academic libraries
with dvd collections. In addition I arranged 2 visits with
a colleague to the University of Westminster and the
University of North London to have a look at the dvd set-up
in their libraries.

Summary
Of the 11 libraries included in my investigation 6 have
dedicated players, 1 provides playback on a MAC, 1 on a PC.
And 3 don't have dvd players or discs yet. Sheffield Hallam
University is the only one with more than 50 discs and only
2 libraries have open access dvd collections.

Players
Choices are between dedicated players or DVD ROM drives on
PCs or MACs. There is also the multi-region vs. Region 2
option and the further option of integrated models such as
those provided by Bush and Grundig.
In the first instance we are likely to go for either the
Pioneer DV-525 or the Pioneer DV-636D which are
multi-region. This will allow us to obtain discs from North
America (Region 1) if Region 2 titles aren't available.

Security
Open access vs. closed access.
3M provide Security Hub Marker H1 tattle-tape that can be
used on single and double-sided dvds and CDs and CD ROMs.
http://products.3m.com/us/office/products/library.jhtml?powurl=GSN9K8RX27be5N1266QBTNgeGST1T4S9TCgvV46P26Q6X6gl

All of the information received has been invaluable in
helping us to decide how we intend to proceed. We have
already ordered 37 dvd titles and expect to launch the
service fully in October. I have attached an Excel 97
spreadsheet providing a summary of information received. I
am happy for people to contact me about these findings, or
with requests for more detailed information or further
queries.

best wishes
Nadine

Nadine Edwards